News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Norman armour and the broigne.

Started by Erpingham, Sep 27, 2026, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

This is an interesting one .  Are the Normans on the Tapestry wearing mail or a form of leather armour with metal reinforcement.  I thought the leather armour theory fell out of fashion decades ago but here it is again.

https://www.medievalists.net/2026/09/the-broigne-what-armour-do-you-see-in-the-bayeux-tapestry/

It's an interesting piece based on an academic paper (in French) from 2021, cited at the end of the article.

Imperial Dave

I really dont see the problem with leather armour...cheap and relatively easy to produce
Former Slingshot editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on Sep 27, 2026, 12:49 PMI really dont see the problem with leather armour...cheap and relatively easy to produce

I don't see the problem with leather armour either. The issue here though is slightly different.

1. The definition of a broigne in use (which probably isn't medieval anyway) is of a leather backing to metal plates or scales. It's a metal armour akin to a later coat-of-plates or brigandine.
2. Sewing a pattern of metal rings on armour is less effective than just riveting plates on.
3. Are the illustrators/embroiderers really implying separate rings or is it just much easier than attempting to depict mail more literally?  Medieval illustrators weren't that wedded to hyper-realism - though there are very detailed realistic depictions of mail, they are greatly outnumbered by more impressionistic ones.

If you want to see an epic discussion on leather armour, try here

https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16419

Nearly 250 posts with pictures and links to keep you amused  :)

Imperial Dave

Former Slingshot editor

GavinP

So you're telling me that all these Normans I've painted are wearing the wrong kit....? ARGH! :D

Imperial Dave

Feels like an excuse to buy more
Former Slingshot editor

Erpingham

Quote from: GavinP on Sep 28, 2026, 05:27 PMSo you're telling me that all these Normans I've painted are wearing the wrong kit....? ARGH! :D

Well, as long as you painted the horses right, with different coloured legs, I'm sure she'll be reet  :)

GavinP

Horses? Yeah, no, I didn't get as far as painting the cavalry.